Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Good Words Gone Bad

The latest fine old word that has bit the dust, leaving a cloud of incorrectness, is "Senior." It seems that the youth-obsessed boomers, just getting into their sixties, will not answer to that one anymore. A local former grocery store is being turned into a magnificent center for those of a certain age but it cannot call itself a senior center because it would be boycotted by those young-thinking boomer types. So we call it Tanglewood Park. Cool, eh? It's between Tanglewood and Park Streets. The "Senior Perspectives" magazine published by the area council on aging is agonizing over what new name might be appropriate if we want anybody under 85 to read it. While we are at it we had better get rid of "aging" in the council's name. What can we become the council on?
I am so far into seniorhood that I don't even remember the first time some young clerk asked if I got the senior discount. I suppose it was traumatic. Did I really look that old? These days, I don't care what you call me. Just give me some benefits. Reward me with discounts just for staying alive for a long time.

1 comment:

  1. It's time to just call a relic a relic. I want to be an "old girl."

    ReplyDelete