Saturday, March 24, 2007

SHORTHAND AND TIGHT SWEATERS


Does anybody use Shorthand anymore? I learned it in high school but today I wouldn't know an ish from a chay. Never got proficient. I was the only male in the class and the girls in their tight sweaters were more interesting than all those squiggly symbols. No, that's not one of my Shorthand classmates over there. It's the notorious Bettie Page. I suppose Shorthand has been replaced by some kind of 21st century digital assistant. Gone the way of Morse Code. Do we even have secretaries taking dictation these days? I dare say the very thought raises the ire of the feminists still complaining about the demeaning days when getting coffee for the boss was part of the job. Moving right along, Whatever happened to Esperanto? I ran into a local fellow who's a member of the international Esperanto Society. Wikipedia says 2 million people still use it but what Wikipedia says ain't always necessarily so. So why did that universal language not catch on big time? Was it ahead of its time? Speaking of time ... do those of us who think about things like that have too much of it on our hands?

3 comments:

  1. If Esperanto users have to fly to a convention to actually use it, is it really a universal language?

    I mean, come on.

    That's some set of lungs. I mean, of course, the ones I'm supposed to be studying in my anatomy book right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took typing myself but can't remember any of it. I can however remember quite clearly a girl named Lisa with perfect posture and a slight lisp that sat in front of me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, there ain't nothin' better than a girl with perfect posture.

    ReplyDelete