Thursday, July 30, 2009

Mae West In My Ear



What a way to wake up. Mae West in my ear, inviting me to "Come up and see me sometime when I don't have anything on but the radio." No, it was no dream of a senile old coot. Nor was Mizz West literally in my ear. She wouldn't fit. Too big in all the right places. Her voice, however, was quite literally, audibly purring in my left ear at 5:30 AM.

How could this happen, you ask? Do you really want to know? I have a hearing aid that has a thing in it called a t-coil. In my Bettie Page corner, repository of thrift store electronics, home of the vintage Hammond Organ and Zenith Radio is a little black box hooked to wires running all over the house. These wires
"broadcast" whatever sound source is plugged into the box right into my ear.
Unfortunately much better known in Europe than here, the "induction loop system" is a great help to the hearing impaired. Many public buildings are looped and the wearer of a t-coil equipped hearing aid just pushes a button and what's being said is brought clearly and up close right into his or her ear. Someday, when the rockers have all lost their hearing, loops will become standard in public places as well as homes where they are a great help for talking on the phone and TV listening.

When I go to bed, I go to the Yesterday USA site, which runs old radio shows 24/7, plug it into the loop amplifier box and go to sleep listening to Jack Benny, Phil Harris, Gunsmoke, Amos 'n' Andy or whatever they are running. And that's how Mae West got into my ear. I don't know if it was that infamous Edgar Bergen show where she invited Charlie McCarthy to come over and play in her woodpile. I think it was an interview with Rudy Vallee, reminiscing about shows he did. Anyway, there she was, giving me quite a start. Quite a thing for an old guy to wake up to.

By the way, most antique radios, my big old Zenith included, are worth lots less than you think if you are planning to retire by selling grandad's old Philco. I might get 50 bucks or so for it if I could find somebody that wanted it. The exception is the rare, unusual models like the Zenith table model seen on the "Walton's" TV show or the Emerson radio from the 30s, known to collectors as the "Mae West" radio. They go for several thousand. Why do they call it the Mae West model? Use your imagination.

5 comments:

  1. This is very enjoyable read - - and as MAE WEST once said: "Come up sometime and see me when I have nothing but the radio on!"
    Come up, honey!
    MaeWest.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cliff:

    Thanks for the nice comments about Yesterday USA. My name is Bob Bro and you can hear me on tape #2. I normally play Gunsmoke episodes, so it's nice to know that some nights my show might put you to sleep!

    Like you, I am an OTR junkie. I keep shows on my MP3 player and that is how I go to bed at night, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Mae. Anyone who appreciates bawdy babes and cats is my kind of blogger. Your blogs are a total delight... what a grand labor of love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And thanks to Bob Bro. Nice to meet you my OTR friend. When I hear those great Gunsmoke shows I wish William Conrad had looked the part so he could have done it on TV. He had the perfect voice for the role. Incidentally, Rex Koury, who composed the Gusmoke music, is one of the theater organists who played a concert and silent film on our Barton organ here in Muskegon, Michigan several years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete