Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Covering the coverage, then and now

The great demographers tell me that something under one percent of the world's 140 million bloggers were alive during FDR's first term. Should any young voters who put Obama in office happen to stumble upon my geriatric ramblings, they will probably think I have gone senile when I claim to be one of a great many Americans of the Roosevelt years who did not know that the president could not walk. The media, consisting of AM radio and the daily newspaper, kept the secret. If President Obama sneezes, the whole world will know about it.

3 comments:

  1. And millions, no doubt, will refuse to say "Gesundheit." Am I getting senile, Clifton, or did you remove your remarks about the new FDR? Since you stated that Roosevelt was a man of the moment, I was going to ask whether you think there every was a US President "wrong" for his time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I excised, deleted, removed and threw away a post that was too political for one who knows not whereof he speaks. I've been called evanescent because I'm always editing and deleting. I guess a shrink would have something to say about that.
    Remind me to get out my "Arthur Godfrey for President" button. Jean Shepherd for veep. Now there's a timely ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you know, I edit myself plenty (perhaps not enough) and wish more web journalists would do the same.

    I did not think of your remarks as political, though, much less as an endorsement. You were commenting on FDR's skills as a communicator, and that brings out the "voice freak" in me (to borrow your phrase).

    ReplyDelete