Friday, July 18, 2008

R. I. P. Jo Stafford

Jo Stafford has gone to that great bandstand in the sky. I leave it to others to remember her hit recordings. I prefer to smile at the musical jokes she gave us as
Cinderalla G. Stump and Darlene Edwards. I was at a radio station in Montana not long after the Jonathan and Darlene Edwards record appeared. Hardly anybody knew it was Jo and Paul Weston. I played it and said it was a local housewife and I was the pianist. Would you believe some listeners actually thought the playing was pretty good. Lots of tin ears out there. Had fun with that for weeks before someone caught on. Good thing, as management, getting complaints about that awful singing, somehow failed to see as much humor in the whole thing as I did. Here's Jo as Cinderella G.Stump with Red Ingle and his Natural Seven.

2 comments:

  1. There is a special place in us old timers hearts for Jo. I enjoyed her singing including the awful Darlene Edwards. I recall the first time I received the Album at the radio station...I thot.."somebody goofed."
    A sidelite, Mario Lanza put out an album singing off key. I have a rare copy that got released before it could be corrected. 'Lanza on B-way.' This, however, was unintentional on Lanza's part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bill. Do you remember the album cover? It showed the hands of pianist "Jonathan Edwards." He had two left ones.

    ReplyDelete