Wednesday, July 09, 2008

So Much for Soulmates

Do you believe in Soulmates? Do you believe in Jonathan Livingston Seagull? Do you have any idea what this crazy old blogger is talking about? Richard Bach wrote the seagull saga around 1970. Big, huge best seller. One of his later books was all about finding his soulmate, actress Leslie Parrish. Remember her? She was Daisy May in the '59 Lil Abner film. they got married. Then they got divorced. Bach's somewhat strange comment was that they were still soulmates but just couldn't live together. I think they both remarried. So did they get new soulmates? Are they living is soulmate sin? This is all too mystical and metaphysical for me.

1 comment:

  1. Despite having passed on the once ubiquitous Jonathan Livingston Seagull and missed the saga of Bach and his soulmate, I think I'm duplicating your reaction. Soulmate is one of those words, like genius that I always feel great awkwardness in using; it's been so seemingly indiscriminately applied that it has ceased to have any real power for or impact on me. Your questions make me think of mine concerning what happens when someone widowed/widowered multiple times gets to heaven. You're right – "too mystical and metaphysical."

    ReplyDelete