Thursday, August 30, 2012

OH HENRY!

I believe I will do a series of "I wonder what it's like" posts.  Today I wonder what it's like  to live someplace where you do not need to own a car . Being from Michigan, hatched and brung up not all that far from Detroit, I know it's likely to get me deported if I suggest that there might be something more valuable, more  important,  more worth going in debt for, even more more romantic than  your own wheels.

 That's right, romantic.  A TV car commercial says "You want romance?  You want to fall in love?  You'll just have to go drive one." Anderson Cooper's afternoon freak  show, that's a lot like Dr. Phil's freak show,  featured a guy who is literally in love with his car.  He says he has a physical relationship with it.  Don't ask.  I don't want to know.  If only Henry knew what he hath wrought.

Old Henry has been accused of everything from anti-Semitism to union busting but he did bring us good radio.   He built Greenfield Village, brought us old time radio music from there  and sponsored the Ford Sunday Evening Hour on the network. Plus that he helped Laurens Hammond bankroll the Hammond Organ and ordered one of the first modelsAn instrument that changed music as much as Ford's Tin Lizzy changed the way we get  from here to there.

Sorry, Henry.  There are still times when I wish I didn't  need  to own one. I wonder what it's like  to use a bus, train, taxi, boat, feet or what manner of conveyance folks outside of Michigan use to get where they need to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment