Saturday, April 11, 2009

South Pacific Old Time Radio?

I wonder if the producers of that Carnegie Hall "Concert" version of South Pacific came from the old time radio era, or did I read that into it? Came across to me a whole lot like a big network radio production. Big orchestra, live audience, stars dressed in dresses and tuxes, walking up to microphones, reading from scripts. turning to costumes and dances for a couple numbers that seemed to call for it, like the memorable "Honey Bun." Maybe it was Reader's Theater. Whatever it was, I loved it. Maybe more than the fully staged version.

2 comments:

  1. I'd like to see (hear) this one, Clifton. The credits on the PBS site read "directed for the concert stage by Walter Bobbie." He was born in 1945; so, he might well have been getting ideas listening to cereal operas on the radio.

    Aren't you glad, though, it was not radio? At least you got to see Nellie.

    Now, back to stripping that wallpaper . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Harry. You needed a few minutes away from the wall anyway. Get a copy of that one if you can. Quite a delight. That show took me back to my early radio days in Flint, interviewing the stars from the musical tent. Yes, I must blog about that.

    ReplyDelete