Thursday, December 18, 2008

Changing times, racing chimes

NBC Television has started using the old NBC chimes, but those three notes that were so much a part of American life in radio's better days are now speeded up to keep up with our breakneck pace of living. I don't have an accurate stopwatch, but I'd say the original chimes took almost four seconds to play, while the current, souped-up TV version races by in just over one second. I spent far too much time trying to find a recording of Three Chimes of Silver, the song that Meredith Willson wrote for the NBC Network's 25th anniversary in 1951. I recall hearing it at that time. It appears that ASCAP or the Willson estate has the song locked up tight, making it unavailable. I hoped I might find a bootleg You Tube of it, but no luck. Surely there must be recordings of the NBC anniversary program that featured the song. Can you help me with this one, Harry? The chimes used in 1932 and thereafter were produced by an electro-mechanical device that was something like a glorified music box. It had rotating drums with little projections that plucked tuned reeds. You can hear those chimes along with earlier ones and the history of one of radio's most memorable sounds here.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could be of any help, Clifton. Unfortunately, the only recording of the 25th Anniversary broadcast I managed to find online is the fragmentary one with which you are probably familiar:

    http://ia360929.us.archive.org/2/items/Singles_And_Doubles_Singles_L-N/51-xx-xxepxxxxNBCTwenty-fifthAnniversaryBroadcast.mp3

    ReplyDelete