Monday, April 21, 2008

My Problem With David Sedaris

Now that I have your attention and you're ready to blast me for failing to appreciate the great humorist, let me admit that there's nothing wrong with him. It's literally my problem. There is something wrong with me. I am narrowly focused on the spoken word . I'd rather listen to it than read it. I have read none of Sedaris's stuff, only listened to it. I've read just a bit of Garrison's Keillor's work, with a whole different feeling from what his radio work gives me. I need the voice and inflections. I have read none of Jean Shepherd's books. Based on listening, I put him near the top of the great humorists of the past century. I like good adlib talkers. Sedaris is a writer who came to fame reading his stuff aloud on NPR. There is a big difference in writing for the printed page and writing spoken word material. When Sedaris did his show in this town, he lost his place in his reading at one point. Apparently that just added to his charm for his fans who nearly filled the big theater. And there's his voice. He said, in an NPR interview, ":Sometimes I worry that I never advanced beyond adolescence.. My voice didn't." He does sound like a teenage boy, which might be one of the more unpleasant sounds and creatures you can encounter. I raised two of them. Some wise person said teenagers are God's punishment for enjoying sex. I suppose the kid voice adds to his appeal for some, but with my need to hear a "radio voice": in the very old fashioned sense of the term, it doesn't work for me. Keillor has a wonderful voice made for radio as he closes his eyes and tells his tales of Lake Wobegon. He knows how to make love to a microphone. He loves the radio medium and he has used it to become somewhat of a phenomenon. Shepherd was a great adlib storyteller, also with a radio background. Like Keillor, he lets you think he's forgotten where he's going with it and then brings it all back full circle. In Sedaris's NPR interview, he also said, "Crack open my skull, a 12 year old would pop out." I do like that. I have no doubt that if Keillor heard that interview, he would say "me, too." He loves to talk about farts and boogers. Seems to me that it's even funnier when 60 year old Keillor does it than when I hear it from the teen age sounding voice of Sedaris. You expect it from a kid. It's funny from an old guy who still has the kid in him. So it's my spoken word obsession that won't let me appreciate Sedaris and his considerable gift. Same problem with Ira Glass, too. His stories are great but his voice irritates me and he talks too fast. Oh boy, I will hear from his fans, if any of them read my geriatric ramblings. They will tell me they can't stand Diane Rehm because she talks too slow.

4 comments:

  1. You should read some of Shepherd's stories, widely available in paperbacks. Especially IN GOD WE TRUST--ALL OTHERS PAY CASH. Also, check out www.flicklives.com for lots of Shepherd material. Also, see the only book about him, my EXSCELSIOR, YOU FATHEAD! THE ART AND ENIGMA OF JEAN SHEPHERD.
    --Eugene B. Bergmann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Eugene ... I know about all those books, will get around to reading. I've been on "flicklives" and I go to sleep most nights listening to Shep shows from Max Schmid's WBAI site. Wonderful stuff! I talked to Shep on my ham radio from his place on Sanibel Island.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Sedaris did promise us he'd Talk Pretty One Day; until he does, I'm not listening. Another voice that is unpleasant to me is that of Martin Scorsese; good thing he is not a radio personality.

    You mentioned Max Schmid, the great Jean Shepherd enthusiast. It is to him that I owe my introduction to US radio entertainment of the pre-TV era.

    I shall enjoy tuning in to Canary Feathers. Best, Harry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Clif -- what a fascinating observation...one which has led me to realize that the majority of my experience with David Sedaris (including my introduction to his essays) has been through the written word. And the times when I have heard him read his own stuff, my reaction has usually been, "Meh."

    Your observations about Garrison Keillor hold true for me, as well, although the only written stuff I've read from Keillor is on Salon.com, a site where Keillor diverges from "Prairie Home Companion" territory and gets a bit more political. I had assumed that my different reaction to his writing, compared to his spoken-word stuff was the topic, not the medium.

    I wonder -- if we asked the artists themselves, would they say their preferred medium is the written word or the spoken word? I like to read aloud the stuff I write, but when I write, it's to be read, not necessarily to be spoken. (Indeed, I often use so damn many words -- and, for that matter, punctuation marks -- that reading aloud could be best described as "tricky.")

    But I wonder what the creators themselves would say...?

    PS - I have trouble with both Ira Glass AND Diane Rehm. :)

    ReplyDelete