Thursday, June 14, 2007

THE WRITING LIFE

Not a very creative or original title for one who claims to care about words. But that's what it's about. Writing and life. The only time I am really happy, the only thing that I lose myself in, is writing. Doesn't matter whether I'm composing in my head or pecking away at the keyboard and watching those wonderful words pop up on the screen. That's probably a pretty neurotic thing. Writing is something you do alone. I suppose a shrink would say I need to check into Nurse Ratched's psych ward and get a real life. How I admire those writers who are great adventurers, living life to the fullest, living it and writing about it with equal balance, skill and passion.
I get some kind of vicarious joy watching people, especially musicians, who get happily lost in what they do.It's also great fun to read about bloggers' passions. I'm a pretty good amateur musician, but I never quite get lost in it like the real musicians do.I get close to that point and then something goes wrong, I leave the keyboard and don't touch it again for a long time. When I'm on the bandstand, doing the announcing at a Big Band Concert, it makes me smile to know that the audience thinks I'm up there going happily nuts to be involved with all that great music. They don't need to know that I'm lost in mentally composing my clever adlib introduction for the next tune on the list. Words are my music. I should have used that for the title.

No comments:

Post a Comment