Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Gay Life. Changing Times

Anybody out there young enough to remember a famous book (I think it was also a play) "Our Hearts Were Young and Gay"?
I have a note from a friend my age (real old) whose granddaughter's wedding will feature a gay man best friend instead of a bridesmaid. Granny says that if she had done that when she married, her country village forbears would have disowned her. If I had told my country village relatives I had a gay friend, they would have said, "That's nice. It's good for you to be with happy people."

2 comments:

  1. It's time for us to reappropriate "gay." I like it and want it back. 35 years or so was long enough for it to be checked out to a subset of English speakers.

    They can call themselves "elated" for a while. How's that? And then rotate the term out again in another 35 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Let there be long lists of fine old words that need to be reappropriated, reclaimed and renewed.

    ReplyDelete