Sunday, April 15, 2007

Jackass Blogs

My friend Father Bob writes a high class newsletter. I know it's high class because he quotes C. S. Lewis a lot. And he translates Greek better than most people read English. Bob's "Mouse Nest" Column, composed by his alter ego Charlie Churchmouse, has this to say about the blogosphere: "We tried doing one of those blogs but we didn't last very long because we quickly bored ourselves to death with our own inanity!" Bob still uses the editorial "We." I quit that a long time ago in favor of the egotistical "I"
I was not sure of the precise meaning of "inane" so I looked it up. Here are some of the better synonyms: Silly. Stupid. Empty. Void. Useless. My favorite is "asinine," meaning "related to, or resembling an ass." In very plain English it means acting like a jackass.
Bob is right, most blogs are full of stubborn braying and hee-hawing. Mine is. I have a good excuse. I'm too old to do much else to amuse myself. As for the young bloggers, let them find their own justification for their inane asininity.

No comments:

Post a Comment